Wednesday 23 December 2009

"Sweet Singing in the Choir"

Here is a little choir boy that I made many years ago out of patchwork, the pattern comes from a book published in 1976, but it remains a favourite of mine, although these days I don't have time to make items from it. The book is entitled "Patchwork Playthings" by Margaret Hutchings and in the middle of the book are all the templates for the toys, there is so much work involved that you would hardly call them toys. This little fellow has been up in my attic and I brought him down for Christmas and tatted around his surplice to give up a fresh and sophisticated look.
Over the last few weeks I've attended quite a few carol services, but none of them had a proper church choir, with choir boys in. Thankfully our English Cathedrals still have their own choirs, and now also have girl choristers.


One of the most loved traditional Christmas festivals is the 'Nine lessons and Carols' which is broadcast every Christmas Eve from Kings College Cambridge and in candlight it is truly a delightful service.
The title for this post comes from the carol "The holly and the Ivy" the chorus ends with these two lines "The playing of the merry organ, Sweet singing in the choir."
Well I'm signing off until after Christmas as tomorrow is going to be one of the busiest times of the year for church services so I wish you......................
A HAPPY AND BLESSED CHRISTMAS

6 comments:

  1. A Happy and Blessed Christmas to the two of you.
    The Choir boy is brill'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And also to yu ~ Emmanuel Peace and Blessing from your sister in Christ.
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. His tatted surplice is perfect! - I add my Christmas wishes to Bev's and Pamela's, and I would also like to thank you for all the pleasure I have had this year, in reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is adorable and the tatting on his robe is the perfect touch! Have a very happy Christmas, Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your choir boy looks so sweet with his tatting around his surplice! Hope you had a very Merry Christmas and that 2010 brings many a Happy Day for you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your Christmas greetings and lovely comments, its been a busy time and I'm still recovering!
    Maureen that was such a lovely thing to say, I've also enjoyed your visits to my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment