Sunday 2 February 2014

Candlemas

If Candlemas be fair and bright,
Winter has another flight.                                                                                                                   If Candlemas brings clouds and rain,                                                                                    Winter will not come again.

An old English saying which is meant to predict the weather.  Today in England it is cold,  and there has been no rain and the sun has been shinning, but sadly that does mean that we are going to see a little more Winter weather before Spring comes, according to this ancient saying.


This morning in church I talked about Candlemas and in particular snowdrops and how they are associated with the purity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  Since completing my mammoth exercise of covering Christmas ornaments, which ended last week,  I have been a little unsettled not knowing what to tat next.  Last night whilst preparing for today  I looked for a snowdrop pattern.  I found this one designed by Jennifer Williams but I sort of adapted it a little and of course made them into earrings.  I wore them this morning and asked the congregation where they could see snowdrops in church, fortunately when I walked down the aisle a few did notice, as they were obviously looking in other places!


I passed so many snowdrops on my walk to church through the graveyard this morning but this particular one is in my garden and I look forward to it's appearance every year.


As it was an All Age Service the congregation were invited to decorate these candles to take home. Centuries ago Candlemas used to be the day that candles were brought to the church to be blessed but today also marks the end of Christmas and so I really do need a new tatting project!

5 comments:

  1. Wow I did something like that on my blog, a while back for January (I placed it on a book cover) I love the big green bead. I was unable to find a pattern so I had to make up my own. This would have been fun to do and have it already done! Love the flower and kudos for your resurch! The Snowdrop is the month of January's flower too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a snowdrop! - they're beautiful, and your tatted earrings are lovely too. I enjoy reading about the traditions in your church.
    Maybe this is the year you need to try one of Renulek's enormous doilies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little snowdrop earrings are so pretty! I'm learning that there are many varieties of flora that I haven't seen!
    Also interesting to learn about the church celebrations. Ah, and I never knew that people actually celebrate the last day of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such sweet earrings! Lovely. Oh, so this is the end of Christmas? I thought it was 6th January. That's when I take down my decorations. It will be interesting to see if your weather conforms with the old sayig.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have ever seen snowdrops, but they look beautiful and yours are very nice!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment