Tuesday 10 May 2016

Cross/Needlepoint Thread

I have been very busy working in the garden which has included painting pots and furniture and generally getting the area cleared up ready for an influx of tomato plants. Very little time for tatting but manage to pick up the shuttles every now and then.

So I was in Romsey today, our nearest town browsing around a charity shop looking at these threads and wondering if I could possibly tat with them.   They are hand dyed and come from the USA.





At least the thread is workable for tatting, here is the proof.  But still wonder what else the threads can be used for as they are so pretty but a little thick for tatting with.



Anyway whilst in the shop and deciding whether to bother with the threads I explain that I want to use them for tatting.  Immediately a customer heard this and was surprised to learn that some one tats.  She had never heard of anyone saying that before, she is self taught and lives in the town.   So of course I gave her my e.mail and mentioned this blog, so Carol if you have found it 'hello' and nice to have met you. 


15 comments:

  1. Those are so pretty colors!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun to find another tatter, hooray! Gorgeous thread color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when people inform me that tatting is a lost art. They don't know about all of us. Pretty thread. Hope you get more time to tat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty thread... could be a lovely crocheted little girl's hat???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fox but don't know any little girls - no grandchildren etc!!!

      Delete
  5. You found another tatter, how nice for you. Hope you get together for some show and tell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty threads - you could probably crochet with them - bookmarks and small things. They look like perle cottons,. maybe they would also be good for embroidery?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tatted with Caron Wildflowers and what I have is similar to size 30 cotton. Is yours thicker? My mother used to crochet flowers to decorate clothing with a similar but thicker Caron thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Martha they are thicker around 10. I was more surprised to see them over here in the UK. Usually it is anchor thread that is seen in our shops

      Delete
  8. Have you tried splitting the threads? If they are embroidery threads like the usual skeins, then a single strand is approximately similar to an 80 thread... If you use 2 or 3 together you'd get around a 40 thread... Try it!! I'm itching to see the results!! Shades of your sisters HWT!!! LOL If you don't want to try them... you can always send them here... VBG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did think about splitting them Sue but thought that was a lot of bother! Might try just using this thickness to start with, last result send them your way!

      Delete
  9. Pretty threads. There's a whole lot of tatting out there Carol,welcome to our world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't split them - those 'Wildflowers' threads were made to use 'as is.' The needlework shop where I used to live sold quite a lot of them to use for cross stitch and needlepoint. There may be 2 sizes, not sure. The size I tried gave results about equal to a size 10 'tatting' thread. It's not 'floss' though - more like perl cotton. They are gorgeous colors.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely happenstance -- to have found another tatter! I too hate it when people presume tatting is a lost art. My friend and I demonstrate tatting a few times a year and we got so tired of people believing that it's dead that we made this sign:

    'We're living proof that tatting isn't dead!'

    Hope someone gets the message!

    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment