Friday 21 October 2016

The Seventh Day

This snowflake was a real challenge to get started and because of that I had to call on Jane for some help. I'm just about to ask her to help with the next one too!   Actually I am struggling with these snowflakes not only actually tatting them but finding time to tat them. 


I help run a Children's after school craft club, when I say help, practically organise it by myself especially when it comes to thinking up the crafts every week.   Recently we used autumn leaves to make collages etc.  To prepare them I soaked them in glycerine and water for about four days.  As I had quite a few left over decided to try to make a flower as I saw the idea on the internet.  Had a very quick go late last night and this is the result.  It is not an activity the children will be able to do, but I plan to have another go when I am more awake and hopefully get a better result.


With the leaves having been soaked in a solution of glycerine and water they are not so brittle, although not sure they will keep their colour.  Have some yellow ones soaking in the solution at the moment.

8 comments:

  1. I love this one, I think it's my favourite sofar. Yes, the little patterns are deceptively simple, aren't they? - but Worth the Effort I think.
    Why not complete your challenge over TWO Christmas seasons? - it's beginning to sound as though you're not really enjoying it, and I do want you to finish them all because I'm following with interest.
    Your autumn leaves look wonderful - here in Brisbane there are few deciduous trees, so it's a novelty for my grandchildren to see the odd leaf or two on our walks. Canberra, where my eldest son lives, is magnificent in autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen might end up doing the challenge over two Christmas seasons - good idea. You are right I am beginning to not enjoy tatting them, my working life is governed by dead-lines, and now have set myself another! It lovely seeing the autumn leaves but for those who have them to clear up, not so and they do become slippery and dangerous when wet.

      Delete
  2. It's a busy time of year for me, too, Sally. I got ahead in tatting those snowflakes for a while, but I'm now entering the part of the book that I expect to be more challenging for me. Who knows, perhaps this year I can be finishing up the challenge in the last day or two before Christmas instead of finishing presents. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eliz brave of you to take on the challenge also, especially when like me it is a busy time. Good luck, must go and see what you are up to!

      Delete
  3. I'm amazed you have time to tat at all, and I give you credit for keeping up with this snowflake project. This one is an exercise in 'onion' rings! They look perfect to me. I've never really tried to do them!

    As for your leaf project, I had great success just putting a coat of clear acrylic varnish on them, which is found along with those acrylic paint bottles at the craft stores. I used a Styrofoam brush and covered only the 'pretty' side. Takes about three seconds to 'paint' on, and it doesn't take long to dry. However, after they dry, I do press them overnight under a heavy object to make sure they stay flat. The results are quite nice, as the colors stay fairly 'true'. I keep them in a box and use them for decorations each year, although I admit that right now I can't find the box! Interestingly, the leaves haven't really 'turned' in our area yet. Sometimes they just switch on overnight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, true my life is very hectic but I do like to sit down and relax with my tatting shuttles when I can, although when a pattern is difficult to fathom it is not relaxing.
      That is a good idea for the leaves, also keeping them flat sounds sensible. Just like me loose things when I have put them safely away, hope you find them soon. Must send some leaves over to you from England!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful job on your snowflake!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very interesting snowflake! I'm guessing it took a while to tat. I like your leaf project! The only thing I ever did with leaves was iron them between layers of waxed paper.

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment