Monday 28 August 2017

A Huge Disappointment

It seems that I will have to get the scissors out to this doily after hours spent tatting it.  I found the pattern on Linda's page here, and really thought it would work well especially as I was aiming to tat it for someone who wanted a green doily.  Sadly though as I progress the work does not lie flat and gets worse after trying to press it down.   May be my tatting is too tight?  I am sure I did not make any errors, whatever, there is no use in carrying on.   Sad but put it down to experience.



There may be a way to continue by not cutting all of it to pieces and making up my own version as I go along, although not sure I am clever enough to do that. 

11 comments:

  1. Oh no! The colors are so lovely! I hope yo can see a way out or some clever tatter will have some suggestions for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait! Plan carefully where you use those scissors because you may be able to separate it into two - one outside ring and an inside smaller doily. I was able to do this with a doily that was too tight around the outside. I cut it into two and the outside went "ah", relaxed, and then received a different 'inner'. The smaller inside received another row or two adjusted. You lose one round in the process of cutting.
    Mama Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes that has happened another one to work out an inner for, how clever!

      Delete
  3. Oh.....and it looks so gorgeous!!! I hope you figure out a great way to work it so that it will be a finished piece!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, that's a shame after you've put in so much work. I hope you can save at least some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, we feel the pain, this is so sad, I remember messing up a large portion with the monster doily😐

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before you cut it, show a picture to Linda; she might have a. Idea about what has gone wrong, or at the very least, she'll be interested in seeing the problems with her design. That's what I would do. And then put the doily carefully into a drawer and leave it there for a long time until you feel like trying again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its too late Maureen it has been cut. But thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  7. Oh, that's frustrating! The problem is likely not due to any mistake by either you or the designer. Each person tats at a slightly different tension, and in a large project those slight differences add up to a noticeable change. It looks like one of those times when blocking by stretching with pins would help. It's a really beautiful doily. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilee the stretching and pinning wasn't working because as soon as I continued it would flop back again, but thanks so much for the advice

      Delete

Another Heavenly Comment