Saturday 7 April 2012

Easter Button Eggs

There might be just time, if you can find thread and buttons, to make one or more of these eggs before tomorrow!  I have had so much fun making them and giving them away.  The six eggs below were made using HWT (hand wound thread). The pattern instructions are loosely based on the buttons and thread sizes given but stitch count can be altered if they do not lie correctly, especially on the first and last chain.  Buttons are not all uniform sizes and so for that matter nor is thread!  Many thanks for the encouraging comments on my last blog post and I hope you enjoy making them as much as I have.




The larger version with beads 






And some were turned into Easter Cards


I hope you all have an egg-citing time making them!


BUTTON EGG PATTERN © Sally Kerson 2012

Materials required:- 1 four holed button slightly under ½” for size 40 thread or slightly over ½” for size 20 thread.
Abbreviations:
R ring Ch Chain Cl close
p picot LBP long bead picot vsp very small picot
RW reverse work + join Cl close
SS SwitCh shuttle Btnh button hole SCMR self closing mock ring
tc tie and cut

Starting at bottom
R1: 6 vsp 6 + (1st Btnh) 6 vsp 6 RW
Ch : 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 RW
R2: 6 + (vsp R1) 6 + (1st 1Btnh) 6 vsp 6 RW
Ch: 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 RW
R3: 4 + (vsp R2) 6 + (2nd Btnh) 6 vsp 4 RW
Ch: 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 RW
R4: 4 + (vsp R3) 6 + (2nd Btnh) 6 vsp 4 RW
Ch: 2 p 2 RW
R5: 2 + (vsp R4) 4 vsp 4 vsp 2 RW
Ch: 2 p 2 RW SS
SCMR6: 2 + (3rd vsp R5) 4 + (2nd vsp R5) SS
R: 4 + (3rd Btnh) 4 SS
SCMR6: 4 vsp 4 Cl RW SS
Ch: 6 p (3 graduated p with 2 in-between) 6 RW SS
SCMR7: 4 + (SCMR6) 4 SS
R: 4 + (3rd Btnh) 4 SS
SCMR7: 4 vsp 2 Cl RW SS
Ch: 2 p 2 RW
R8: 2 + (SMCR7) 4 + (middle of SCMR7) 4 vsp 2 RW
Ch: 2 p 2 RW
R9: 2 + (vsp R8) 6 + (4th Btnh) 6 vsp 4 RW
Ch: 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 RW
R10: 4 + (vsp R9) 6 + (4th Btnh) 6 vsp 4 RW
Ch: 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 RW
R11: 6 + (vsp R10) 6 + (1st Btnh) 6 + (vsp R1) 6 RW
Ch: 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 tc to base of first R

For the beaded version add 1 bead to shuttle 1 and 31 beads to shuttle 2
Instead of the vsps make them large enough to attach a bead except for the 2nd vsp on R5
At the top of the egg replace the ch after SCMR 6 with 2 bead 2 bead 3 (3 beads and the one bead from shuttle 1) 3 bead 2 bead 2 bead.

19 comments:

  1. Those are very pretty and very Eastery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Die Ostereier sehen wunderschön aus.

    Frohe Ostern wünscht
    Cornelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your beautiful pattern! I'll do my best to get at least one tatted for tomorrow.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the pattern. I think they would make great earrings too, with loads of blings in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are terrific! Thank you for the pattern.

    Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I somehow missed your previous post! These eggs are a clever design and so colorful! When in the world did you have time to make so many, and to write down the pattern? This is so generous of you to share! I can't get over the 'hand wound thread' idea. There is no limit anymore to colors and sizes of thread!

    A very Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you know I test tatted this pattern for you and got addicted to making them!!! Smashing little pattern. SOOOOO pretty. I'll share mine on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sally I think your button eggs are very attractive!

    Looking forward to seeing some wooden buttons when I'm in the garage has had time to produce some.

    Happy Easter.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the pattern!! I will take this challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your pattern last evening and was able to tat 6 for our Easter dinner table. Thanks for sharing this cute pattern with all of us.

    HAPPY EASTER TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Than you for sharing pattern.
    These are do beautiful!!!
    I love it's colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are all so very pretty!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is eggactally what I was looking for :-) Super cute! Thank you, Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for all your comments, and pleased that some of you had time to make them! Sorry I did not publish them sooner but I was just overwhelmed with other things (Kathy I could not have done it without the help of Jane who wrote the pattern into a readable form)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are wonderful! Thank you for sharing the pattern. I've made 3, and have discovered they really are addicting. I'm off to make some more - Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am trying to tat the Easter egg but I am not understanding the symbols. I am using a ball and shuttle, should it be two shuttles. I am really a beginner. Thanks for some help. I have rings done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marie you will need two shuttles for this pattern as there is a SCMR (self closing mock ring) in the pattern.
    Please e.mail me on popabobbinshuttle@gmail.com and I will give you the link for the technique

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for sharing the pattern, Easter is right around the corner! Haven't done a a closed mock ring in ages, and only ones, so I will need to practice it again.

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment