Tuesday 20 January 2015

Democracy Day

That is what they are calling this particular day in the UK as it marks the 750th anniversary of the first elected English parliament. The word 'democracy' originates from Ancient Greek and means 'power of the people'. In 1265 Simon De Montfort gathered together representatives from towns and cities around the country and laid the foundations for our political system. The institution he created has changed markedly over the years but we have become accustomed to the idea that we can elect our representatives, voice our opinions, and exert our will through the parliamentary system. We should indeed be thankful that we live in a country where this happens. However, as the General Election approaches in less that four months time the thought of endless political broadcasts can, at times, dampen our enthusiasm for the system!

A 'Tatting Day' sounds so much more fun than a 'Democracy Day' though doesn't it!?  One of the things I have managed to do today is start sewing this tatting braid on a bag I am making, it seems to just finishes it off nicely.


I bought the material for this bag when out with Jane last year and really pleased that I have actually managed to put it to good use. 




A picture of a handle on a church door, can anyone work out the year in Roman Numerals? It is a lot newer than 1265.

11 comments:

  1. Laboriously dredging up my rusty Latin - I think it is 1841. Or thereabouts. I had to enlarge the picture to see the tatted braid, and now that I can see it, it is perfect for your bag! - what thread did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've written about Democracy Day. I wasn't aware of it, and now I am! The material for your bag is beautiful! I think I could figure out the date if I set my mind to it, but I'm tired, so I'll just wait for you to fill us in! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm reading it correctly, it's 1841--but it's been a long time since I've read anything with a *d* in it. I think it's sad that we are no longer teaching kids to read Roman Numerals--not that I read them often, but doing so always gives me a shot of pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hopeless with Roman numerals, but I love the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mdcccxli = 1841 . [ 1000 + 500 + 100 + 100 + 100 + (50 - 10) + 1 ]

    Wish we could see the tatted braid up close ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to those who worked out the date on the door handle the church was built in 1841 . Also thanks for the compliments regarding the bag will get a close up picture of the braid soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. The most difficult part for me was realizing that the second letter was a 'd'. I 'cheated' and went immediately to the internet, which made it very easy to convert! Love the internet for that kind of thing! Even though I took Latin in school, I still have difficulty with Roman numerals past '40'!

    The bag looks very nice in those colors. I have never actually seen tatting braid. Is it still made? It does add a finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone.... 1841!! And I'd worked it out before I read any of the posts!!! Pleased I was right!! VBG

    The bag is Gorgeous!!! Well Done Miss!! We just need a close up of the tatting AND a pic of the item finished!!! LOL (I'll give you something to blog about!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's just dawned on me as well.... that means your church is newer than my house by around 10 years!!!! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely 1841...says the Latin teacher. Beautiful photo of the handle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment